Yay, a meme about books. I was tagged by my new virtual friend, Repressed Librarian.
1. One book that changed your life?
Anne Lamott's Traveling Mercies. Because that's the book that got me back to church. And if I hadn't gone back to church, I probably wouldn't have ended up becoming a pastor. Also, it's the book I lent Ben during the first few weeks of our courtship.
2. One book you have read more than once?Davita's Harp, by Chaim Potok. I read it when I was very young, and again in high school, and again during seminary. It seemed like a very familiar yet utterly different book each time.
3. One book you would want on a desert island?
The Chalice Hymnal. Because as much as I love to read, I think I'd get bored of even the best novel. But I can sing hymns again and again and never, ever bore of them. Plus, the CH has a psalter (granted, a very low church psalter) and my ideal self would cherish reading psalms at the beach. (My real self likes to go to the beach with Charise, who brings along trashy gossip magazines.)
4. One book that made you laugh?
Anything by David Sedaris.
5. One book that made you cry?I remember weeping when I got to the end of Where the Red Fern Grows. Unfortunately, I was in elementary school and it was recess. Not so good for the already-precarious social life.
6. One book you wish had been written?The book(s) I wish I had the time, energy, discipline, and talent to write.
7. One book you wish had never been written?
The Left Behind series.
8. One book you are currently reading?
The Year of Magical Thinking, by Joan Didion.
9. One book you have been meaning to read?
Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places, by Eugene Peterson.
10. Now tag five people.