- Last week I tried something new: I set a goal of writing my entire sermon in an hour. I'd already done extensive reading and planning, so it was just the writing bit. I didn't meet the goal, but I did have about 75% of it done when the bell rang. Normally, it takes me about... oh, 15 minutes per sentence?? I'm not sure what effect it had on the manuscript; I don't think it was any better or worse than usual. I did feel like I didn't "know" it as well - part of why it takes me so long is that I constantly reread what I've written so far. When I was in middle school I participated in Power of the Pen, where you'd be given an hour to complete a writing prompt. Could be a handy skill during busy weeks, though I doubt I'll do it all the time.
- On the way back from not visiting someone at a local assisted living place (date miscommunication), I walked alongside a gated up movie set. At first I didn't realize that the "house" was just a facade... it was a little disorienting.
- I tidied up the top of our bureau today, which included making a stack of papers to recycle. Juliette was underfoot, so I asked her to go take them to Daddy in the kitchen and say, "recycle." She follows orders pretty darn well.
- Except when she doesn't.
- While reading a commentary on the Prodigal Son at the local coffeehouse this morning, I was sitting next to two very professional looking women who were discussing at length some sort of business dealing one of them had had with Lady Gaga.
- I recently discovered an glaringly overt instance of plagiarism, one that I might have missed if I hadn't coincidentally read the original source a couple days before. I really hate plagiarism. I sent a note to the editor, including that I genuinely hoped it had just been an oversight, and that the attribution was intended to be included. I seriously doubt it.
- One of Juliette's current favorite activities is making us run drills in the front yard. If we stop running, she'll say, "Run, Mama! Run, Daddy! Run!
Posted by Katherine Willis Pershey