1. Nothing went as planned today. The plan was fairly loosey-goosey anyway, as Juliette's church preschool is closed this week. But the stomach flu (Ben this time) has a way of changing plans. I'm really, really hoping that I can avoid getting sick at all, let alone before the big Christmas Eve pageant services.
2. We also had a decent snowfall last night. We took turns shoveling out the driveway. Nothing like Shoveler A suffering from the stomach flu and Shoveler B paranoid about a chronically bad back to make one desirous of a snow blower. Maybe our push reel lawn mower can serve as the carbon offset? Now I just need to find a justification for the cash expenditure. Perhaps avoiding steep chiropractor bills?
3. I'm so excited about my lunch plans for next week. I'm meeting my childhood friend Lara at a nice Italian place midway between our houses - about a half hour away. I was grinning like a fool when I got off the phone with her. She sounded... wonderful. I suppose there's the chance we could sit down and not know what to say to one another, but I think it's more likely that we just won't even know where to begin.
4. My writing group had a family potluck last weekend, and it was, in a phrase, off the hook. The spread was beyond delish - baked brie, garlic mashed potatoes, homemade cranberry relish and applesauce, turkey, and the impressively prepared and surprisingly tasty goose. I wasn't super optimistic about the goose - as I admitted to our dinner companions, I'm not adventurous with poultry- but it was great. I made two pies, pumpkin dip for pears, and homemade bread.
5. If you've been on the internet for more than thirty seconds in the last week, you've probably already seen this. But how charming is this video?
6. I've read 33 books in 2010 (29 in 2009, 50 in 2008). Lately I've been on such a YA lit kick I've worried that I was subconsciously padding my numbers.
7. Angie Lucas's NOT Shopping List is really funny.
8. I really like this family photo of us. It was taken the day we joined the church:
9. My hair is definitely as long as it's ever been in my life. It's making me a little crazy; I keep accidentally zipping it into my jacket. I have a loooong way to go before I can chop it off to donate it to Locks of Love. I'm waffling if I can make it... one day at a time.
10. My second post for The Christian Century went live yesterday. The thrill is not gone. :)
ETA: And post #3. That's it for now.