1. I'm 32 weeks pregnant and have been so busy I'm only vaguely aware of that fact, mainly on account of the various third-trimester aches and pains. With Juliette, I was obsessed with being pregnant and becoming a mother. At some point between now and July, I hope I have a chance to do a little emotional and spiritual preparation for childbirth and welcoming a new baby into the family.
2. I certainly have the nesting thing down. No choice, really, as one must nest when one is moving into a new house. We have so much work to do yet - not the least of which, the less-than-fun stuff of getting a new roof and repairing the crumbling front steps. But we're getting there, little by little. So is the little bird who literally nested on our porch light all day Saturday. I'm fine with him living there as long as he doesn't try any funny business: no flying in my face when I open the door, buster.
3. The hanging pots and pans storage was one of the selling points of this house for me. I think it's that scene from The Princess Bride. I'm going to try an experiment tonight, and see what happens if I call Ben over and ask him to fetch the colander for me. "Farm Boy..."
4. Juliette and I walked to church from our new house today. I like that our route takes us through downtown Western Springs. Though really, it could be dangerous to walk past Kirschbaum's Bakery and Oberweiss Dairy as frequently as we will.
5. It's kind of hard to tell from this picture, but to get to the guest bedroom you walk up the stairs and then back down a short flight of stairs; it's a room on stilts that partially rests on the attached garage. The other two bedrooms and the one (1) bathroom are at the top of the rest of the stairs. It's a funky layout, but I love it.
6. Erica suggested we make this an annual picture. Someone may need to remind me next May...
7. I scored a pretty significant consumer victory the other day. To make a long and headache-inducing story short, I was so angered by a particular communications utility that I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Within days, someone from the company's executive office contacted me, cut us an excellent deal on our phone and internet for the next twelve months, and best of all confirmed that the customer service/ sales rep had committed fraud. I've been irritated with companies before but this was the first time I can remember being flagrantly mislead and lied to. I don't revel in getting someone in trouble - and I'm fairly sure that rep is in Trouble - but I'm grateful that organizations like the BBB exist to keep companies on the straight and narrow.
8. Juliette "read" aloud from a Bible story book this morning while she waited in my office for preschool to start. I'd planned to knock a few items off my to-do list, but ended up taking dictation of her lovely narration of the pictures. My favorites: "If you're sick, you have to say: God, help me from heaven. Feel me better... Jesus tells all the people how to say God helps you." She also explained that Jesus had a lot of children.
9. I didn't have it in me to do a thorough cleaning of our rental house before we turned the keys over last weekend, so I obtained paid housecleaning services for the first time in my life. Oh my stars. I was practically in tears when I walked through afterward, and I don't even live there anymore. The cleaning service offers a big discount for your second cleaning, and I'm thinking I don't want to put it to waste, especially given how dirty the floors get during the move-in process. I must tread carefully, though, as one can't get too used to such a luxury.
10. And here's Juliette: sweet, feisty, independent, snuggly, surprisingly flexible, vegetable-loving Juliette.